Sunday, July 17, 2005

Widgets

Why do people at work automatically assume I know everything in the world about their tools and equipment? I have supervisors who have been working in their line of work for 20 years who dont know how to look up a part in a catalog book and order it themselves. They just plop a widget on my desk and say "hey I need 40 of these" and walk away. I look at the item and say to myself "what the f*** is this thing, where did it come from and do I look like a convenience store clerk?". I then spend the next 2 days calling vendors and saying I have a widget, can I order 40 of these? Then the vendor says "well is it a male or female widget?? I don't know so I call the supervisor and ask, "hey, is this a male or female widget?" I am kindly informed its a male widget. With more confidence than I should have I call the vendor again and request 40 male widgets...secure in the knowledge that I now know what I am talking about. Then the vendor asks "Is it threaded or slip?" WTF??? How the hell do I know??? ARGH!!! So I have to call the supervisor and ask, "do you need your widgets threaded or slip?" "Why it's slip, can't you tell?" o.O If I knew what the heck it was would I be asking you, you moron?? So back and forth I go between the supervisor and the vendor for about 2 days as we play phone tag...only to find out the supervisor decided to stop by the store and pick up his own widgets because I took too long and didn't know what to order. In the meantime I have wasted what precious few hours I have at work to try and order widgets for a moron who was too lazy to go to the store in the first place. Thanks alot~I think the next time they plop a widget on my desk I will fling it back to them and say order it yourself you *bleepity bleep*.

1 Comments:

Blogger jason said...

Is it too much to ask for them to communicate what the heck the thing is that they are asking you purchase?

You have to love it too when a boss makes a decision affecting something you are working on and does not tell you until after you put two days worth of work in it. Mine makes these cowboy decisions without letting anyone else know what is going on. If he is involved in one of my projects, he will make buyouts without letting me know, and this place is so disorganized that I could do the same buyout and he would never know it. Of course if that were to happen, who would get the blame? That's right, me. He does this to everyone.

How do these people get into management positions? Is buffoonry a desireable management quality?

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home