Sunday, August 28, 2005

Dog days

This weekend it really hit me; we are in the middle of summer, it's hot, so hot the cats are just rolling over and staring blankly at the sight of someone at the door. Not even an active bird can rouse a reaction. They have little interest, little energy. Now, heat is something that always begs comparison. Actually, compared to most places, the heat here is mild; we are truly lightweights in the weather category here in San Diego. But for some reason, this weekend, I am really feeling it. I don't want to move. This morning, I missed church, I just kept sleeping. When I moved, this blanket of lethargy just felt so heavy over me.

I had so many plans; I was going to work and finally finish the report I was working on. I was going to visit my sister. I was going to enjoy something new and unusual this weekend, just enjoying the weekend. Instead, I slept and barely got up for lunch.

These feelings frustrate me, I always feel guilty for these kinds of days. I feel like I'm letting life pass me by, and I'm not getting enough accomplished. I feel this pressure to be doing something worthwhile. Not just sitting there, like a bump on the log or something close to death.

If you have read this far in my confessional, you are being gracious. This blog is completely self serving, just getting the guilt off my shoulders and hurling it into cyberspace. I would rather write about something more interesting, like getting ordered against a wall by a zealous traffic cop or the experience and wonder of falling in love or the opposite experience, the awkwardness of looking and not connecting. Stories about the lingering influence of the past and memory and how inspiration can be found in the most unusual places. Stories about being cherished and finding that place in life, where you feel completely alive and close to God, wherever that place may be. But, that's not for today, today is far too lazy. It's too dogged and dead. If you'd like, you can share what hot dog days are like for you and share any strategies you use to overcome them. Maybe something productive can come from this lazy, dog day after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with a little lethargy. I moved a few things around in the den and went grocery shopping. That was about it. Then I went in the backyard and squirted myself with the hose. That was pretty nice. Even just sitting around, I was sweating like a whore in church. I suppose it's nothing compared to the Pooksters neck of the woods, though. The freaking south has it all--heat and humidity. I guess I have no wisdom to offer other than to say, never plan anything on a weekend like this. It's easier to just succumb to laziness.
Which I absolutely did, too. I had this blog I wanted to write, myself, had it all planned out. Instead I started watching season 2 of 24 and left it at that....ugh....can't write anymore...

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home