Friday, August 12, 2005

James Cameron is an A-hole

I read an interview with James Cameron right after Titanic came out where he mentioned that he'd written the entire movie in order to get to the central scene between Jack and Rose on the prow of the ship ("Jack, I'm flying!"). The whole movie more or less hinges on that moment, because the story really isn't about the sinking. It's about two people's decisions, and the consequences those decisions have on their lives.

Another example would be Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. There's a scene where Romeo is comforting Mercutio after his discourse on Queen Mab ("Peace, good Mercution. Thou talkst of nothing."), and after that, he and his friends are talking about going to the party at the Capulet's. At that point, Romeo is still pining away after Rosalind, and his friends are trying to get him to go to get his mind off things, and possibly even find someone else ("if love be rough with you, be rough with love..."). Romeo considers, and even though he has second thoughts ("my mind misgives some consequence yet hanging in the stars"), he ultimately goes. We all know what happens after that.

Of course, these are both ridiculously over-dramatized examples, but they well illustrate the point that our lives are deeply affected by the decisions we make. In fact, I've heard it said that we ARE the decisions we make. I think what that means is that our lives can be PROFOUNDLY affected by a single decision, whether good or bad. This is something I've done badly on SEVERAL occasions, to disastrous consequences each time. While of course I can't speak for everyone, my downfall seems to be that I often act depending on how I'm feeling at that moment, without considering that I might soon feel differently, or without seeking counsel from someone else (usually a good idea to get another viewpoint). There was a catch phrase a while back, and you saw it EVERYWHERE--on bumper stickers, ties, signs, t-shirts, etc--WWJD. What would Jesus Do?

What WOULD Jesus do? That's the hard part. When I think about that now, I take from it that if you're a Christian, you need to involve Jesus in your life on more than just Sunday. You need to ask Him what he thinks about it. Ask him what He would have you do in a given situation. You won't always receive a pointed direction, but sometimes the lack of a response is all the direction you need. But this is not as easy as it seems. Our tendency, one would imagine, is toward self-gratification much of the time, even as Christians. What's best for ME. What do I want to do? That kind of thing. While I can't speak for everyone, of course, this type of thinking has really led me to some wretched decisions.

I think of one situation in particular, and what makes it worse is that I actually did ask someone what they thought this time, and I suppose I even knew what God would want from me. I just didn't listen.

Just before Valentine's day a few years ago, a girl I was very much interested in, and had been flirting with (it had began lightly, but had developed into something of a more serious nature), thought it would be a good idea to have a Valentine's day party, and all the single people amongst our group of friends (we all worked together) would attend. She had just become single herself (separated from her husband--I'm ashamed to say I had a part in that, as well. Something else I didn't consult God about). Since I was the only one who had my own apartment, the decision was made to have the party at my place.

This girl wasn't a Christian, and I knew on several levels that pursuing a relationship of any sort with her would be a colossally bad idea. But I fell for her, so I decided to pursue one, even though my closest friend (who WAS a Christian) advised me it was a bad idea, and dangerous to my walk. Anyway, there came a point in the evening when it was very late and everyone was leaving. The girl and a couple more friends were still there and I remember them standing and her looking back at me. "You guys go ahead," she said. "I'll talk to you later."
I didn't even think about the consequences. I could've done a lot of things. I could've said I was tired. I could've said, "see you later." I could've not had the party at all. But I did none of those things. I just went with the easy choice. And it took YEARS to recover from it. On some levels, I'm still recovering.

I guess my point in all this is mostly just figuring my own stuff out, or trying to. But I think I realize now that even if you don't know God, it's ALWAYS a bad idea to go and do something just because, as the saying goes, "it seems like a good idea at the time." Trust me. It isn't. Think about it, for at least a second or two. Think before you speak, and definately think before you act. Ask someone close to you what they think, and at least CONSIDER their advice.

If you DO know God, then you need to pray about things before you do them, even if it's only a quick prayer.

There's another saying that also applies. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Also true.

Anyway, now I try to do the right thing as much as I can, what is right before God. I think about what things will mean to God before I do them (at least I try to--though it isn't always easy). And I have people in my life that I can go to with difficult things, people that will hold my impulsive, dumb-ass self accountable. I will do my best to listen to them...

I don't remember what started me off this morning...oh, yeah. Titanic. James Cameron is an a-hole....

5 Comments:

Blogger jason said...

Going to God for decisions is something I do not do enough. Yeah, big decisions such as taking job offers, moving, etc. I try my best to involve God in. But in consulting God with everyday decisions, I am a dismal failure. I don’t pray enough. I don’t pray enough to thank God for what He has done for me.

Went to lunch today with the sales manager here, the president of the company, and another salesman. As I was sitting there, pigging out without any thought given to God, I saw a group of three sitting a couple of tables over praying over their food. I was raised to do this. My parents did it at the dinner table at every meal. Yet I do not do it any more.

Then I started thinking about my testimony at work. Everyone knows I am a Christian because I have a Bible here. But that is simply not enough. Something I am fighting is my language. I let a word slip from time to time. What does that do to my testimony?
My boss, he is not a Christian man. My dad used to work for him and my dad had such a testimony that my boss never cursed in front of him, and if he did, he apologized. He doesn’t feel uncomfortable cursing or telling bad jokes around me. I don’t laugh. He knows I don’t appreciate it, but I am not vocal enough about it. Maybe he doesn’t think much of my Christianity? Maybe it is because I am guilty of cursing myself. Here I am, reading my Bible during lunch, and two hours later letting a word slip out. That has hypocrite screaming all over it.

My boss is a hard man. He sees the church as money-grubbers and Christians as two-faced hypocrites. He has no need of anything. He does not have to turn to God because he has everything. Do I pray for his soul? No. Do I strive to be a better witness in front of him? No. I come here every day content to do my job and go home.

Which gets back to the fact that I do not have God foremost in my conscience. I do not pray enough. WWJD was so wore out that it became cliché’ and meaningless. It became a hip little thing for Christians to wear. Doesn’t it still apply today?

There is nothing better a man can do than to surround himself with good Christian friends. They encourage you and keep you accountable. It makes the walk closer to God easier. I can’t imagine not having friends like that.

And yes, James Cameron sucks. So does Michael Bay.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with everything you said, and I have the same problems with my "grammar." I try, but in addition to the Christian friends I have, there are also the not-so-Christian, and when I'm with THEM, I find myself falling back into my former sense of humor. That's been the most difficult part of the Old Me to shake. I try to, but it ain't easy. Profanity seems to always rear its ugly head as a result. I will say in my own defense, that I've been cutting the f-bombs down, but even with that, I KNOW I need to really rethink a lot of my habits, because I might be the only Christian people ever see.

I had a deal with Sidemena once, where I'd give her a quarter for every curse word. I started going broke. Maybe I should amend that to every inappropriate thing I say or joke about and that might get the point across. Hmmm

Regarding praying before doing some of the stupid stuff I do, my goodness. I hope I get better at that. Of course, the only way for that to happen is to actually DO IT. So I guess I better get started...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't hate Michael Bay, actually. I like Armageddon. Sorry, but I did...

11:49 AM  
Blogger jason said...

My only recollection of Armageddon was the extreme whiplash I got from having to sit in the front row of the theatre.

My anger is directed at him for Pearl Harbor. Take a perfectly good war movie and put a sappy love story in the middle of it. Sacrilege.

Besides, I probably like a horde of movies you hate, so we are even.

Did see in your profile that the Stand is one of your favorite books. Mine too. It and The Stand are my two favorite Stephen King books.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And The Dark Tower Series, though he took way too long to finish it...

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home