Old Fart
Everyone knows I’ve gone back to school. I have one semester under my belt now, and it feels pretty good. I’ve been enjoying myself like I never have in school before. It begs the question “why didn’t I do this sooner?”. Timing is everything, and I don’t think I would’ve taken the education seriously if I had done it earlier. Everything in life happens for a reason and purpose, and I think all the factors that went into keeping me from studying interior design sooner were actually beneficial. Yes, I sometimes think I’m getting a really late start and I’m “too old” and I’ll just be older when I’m done. BUT, I don’t think I would’ve appreciated it, or applied myself as well had I chosen this major straight out of high school. Why am I ruminating about this now?
There was this girl in my last semester. She has since switched to being a daytime student, but all of us who were in her classes this past summer are wondering how she’ll finish school. There is a strict policy of having no more than 3 absences, or risk failing the class (or getting docked one full grade point). She had more than three absences in all her classes. She also turned in 90% of her homework late (which everyone knows results in lowered points). I remember discussing it with another student, the other student wondering how on earth this girl would pass school, and why she was IN school, paying so much money, to not take it seriously. I sat there and agreed. Then it hit me. Not too long ago, I was that girl! I skipped classes with abandon, although I never turned any assignment in late (I was too chicken for that). How old have I gotten, that I can look at this young girl (she’s 18), and wonder why she can’t take things seriously.
My first foray into college was attending 3 semesters at Liberty University. I finally pulled my head out of my ass and made my escape, but before I did that, I met one of my best friends. I’d like to say I’ve never skipped classes before, or that I’ve always been a model student, but alas, that is not the case. My first semester at Liberty, I met this blonde, smart ass girl who taught me the fine art of never going to class. (That’s right, it’s not a habit I picked up at State…). Instead, she led me on quite the path of delinquency, and playing pranks on those who weren’t quite so gifted in the brainage department. They didn’t stand a chance. I almost pity them now. Almost. Maybe I should blog some of those, just for the sake of posterity. Anyways, I digress. Ah, yes. The girl.
So here I am, a complexity of thoughts when I think of this girl. On one hand, I’m irritated at her uncaring and general disregard of school. It is a lot of money, and she just doesn’t take it seriously. (What is that phrase? “Throwing your education down the toilet”?) Then, when her assignments are late, or she does them incorrectly, she just makes smart comments at the professor. It’s like she doesn’t realize how important school is, how seriously she needs to take it. Then I realize I sound just like my parents when I first started college. Have I grown so old, so soon? I guess with age comes more wisdom, more understanding about things. A certain “been there, done that” type of approach to life...
On the other hand, I see the spitting image (looks and attitude) of the smart-ass blonde chick I met while at Liberty. And she didn’t turn out so bad…
There was this girl in my last semester. She has since switched to being a daytime student, but all of us who were in her classes this past summer are wondering how she’ll finish school. There is a strict policy of having no more than 3 absences, or risk failing the class (or getting docked one full grade point). She had more than three absences in all her classes. She also turned in 90% of her homework late (which everyone knows results in lowered points). I remember discussing it with another student, the other student wondering how on earth this girl would pass school, and why she was IN school, paying so much money, to not take it seriously. I sat there and agreed. Then it hit me. Not too long ago, I was that girl! I skipped classes with abandon, although I never turned any assignment in late (I was too chicken for that). How old have I gotten, that I can look at this young girl (she’s 18), and wonder why she can’t take things seriously.
My first foray into college was attending 3 semesters at Liberty University. I finally pulled my head out of my ass and made my escape, but before I did that, I met one of my best friends. I’d like to say I’ve never skipped classes before, or that I’ve always been a model student, but alas, that is not the case. My first semester at Liberty, I met this blonde, smart ass girl who taught me the fine art of never going to class. (That’s right, it’s not a habit I picked up at State…). Instead, she led me on quite the path of delinquency, and playing pranks on those who weren’t quite so gifted in the brainage department. They didn’t stand a chance. I almost pity them now. Almost. Maybe I should blog some of those, just for the sake of posterity. Anyways, I digress. Ah, yes. The girl.
So here I am, a complexity of thoughts when I think of this girl. On one hand, I’m irritated at her uncaring and general disregard of school. It is a lot of money, and she just doesn’t take it seriously. (What is that phrase? “Throwing your education down the toilet”?) Then, when her assignments are late, or she does them incorrectly, she just makes smart comments at the professor. It’s like she doesn’t realize how important school is, how seriously she needs to take it. Then I realize I sound just like my parents when I first started college. Have I grown so old, so soon? I guess with age comes more wisdom, more understanding about things. A certain “been there, done that” type of approach to life...
On the other hand, I see the spitting image (looks and attitude) of the smart-ass blonde chick I met while at Liberty. And she didn’t turn out so bad…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home