Obstacle Course
Last night at church there were these blank thank you cards on all the chairs. At the end of the sermon, Pastor Mike explained why. He had us write thank you notes to God (there's that whole "Thanksgiving" thing next week), and those who wanted to, could go up front at the end and read them over a couple of mics they had set up. Many of them were very similar, and many people got very emotional. I found myself tearing up like a 13 year-old girl watching The Gilmore Girls season finale. But it made me think. What do I want to thank God for? I scribbled a few things on my card, but I had no intention of reading them to 300 or so strangers. My friends, now. That's another story.
I want to thank God for Calvary. This time of year, we tend to obviously focus more on His birth, though there's a pretty good chance it didn't happen any time near December 25th. And not to take any significance from His birth, because it did fulfill scriptural prophecy. But without the crucifixion and subsequent resurrection (also fulfillments of prophecy), Christ's birth would merely be the noteworthy birth of a skilled teacher. But since He came and lived as a man, assumed our sins, and paid the penalty for them in full, since I invited him into my heart and my life, I will live beyond my short time on earth. And for that I want to thank him from literally the bottom of my heart--and it's through knowing him that I've even begun to discover the depths of my heart. That's another wonderful thing about Christ: he will reveal the you he created you to be, if you but ask him to. And he will give you blessings. Sometimes not what you ask for, but always what you need.
Which brings me to the next thing. I also want to thank God for my family and my friends. Right now, at this moment, expecially for my friends. If you'll indulge me for just a moment, I'll explain why.
There's a scene toward the end of the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" where Richard Gere's character, Zach, is running on the obstacle course at the Naval Academy. He's always been good at it, but this day he's extraordinary. He's about to set a course record, but he looks back and sees one of the other officer candidates stuck at the top of an obstacle. She's upset, crying, because if she doesn't clear it, she doesn't graduate. So Zach runs back and climbs to the top of the obstacle from the other side and yells at her, encourages her, and gets her over the top.
I've been at the top of the that particular obstacle so many times, and each time God has either come back to get me himself, or sent one of my friends. I'm sure they have their own equally difficult obstacles to clear, but they've simply always been there, in one way or another. Sometimes with a kind word of encouragement, and sometimes with a gut check. He's blessed me with an amazing group of people, and I am more thankful than I have words to express (and I have a lot of words). It's so wonderful to have people in your life to pray for you, and to pray for. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've only discovered what a blessing it is to pray for someone within the past year or so. Anyway, I've monopolized the internet long enough.
And while I wanted to thank God for blessing me as he has, I also wanted to thank my friends for coming back for me when they could be setting records. Thank you. I really love you guys.
I want to thank God for Calvary. This time of year, we tend to obviously focus more on His birth, though there's a pretty good chance it didn't happen any time near December 25th. And not to take any significance from His birth, because it did fulfill scriptural prophecy. But without the crucifixion and subsequent resurrection (also fulfillments of prophecy), Christ's birth would merely be the noteworthy birth of a skilled teacher. But since He came and lived as a man, assumed our sins, and paid the penalty for them in full, since I invited him into my heart and my life, I will live beyond my short time on earth. And for that I want to thank him from literally the bottom of my heart--and it's through knowing him that I've even begun to discover the depths of my heart. That's another wonderful thing about Christ: he will reveal the you he created you to be, if you but ask him to. And he will give you blessings. Sometimes not what you ask for, but always what you need.
Which brings me to the next thing. I also want to thank God for my family and my friends. Right now, at this moment, expecially for my friends. If you'll indulge me for just a moment, I'll explain why.
There's a scene toward the end of the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" where Richard Gere's character, Zach, is running on the obstacle course at the Naval Academy. He's always been good at it, but this day he's extraordinary. He's about to set a course record, but he looks back and sees one of the other officer candidates stuck at the top of an obstacle. She's upset, crying, because if she doesn't clear it, she doesn't graduate. So Zach runs back and climbs to the top of the obstacle from the other side and yells at her, encourages her, and gets her over the top.
I've been at the top of the that particular obstacle so many times, and each time God has either come back to get me himself, or sent one of my friends. I'm sure they have their own equally difficult obstacles to clear, but they've simply always been there, in one way or another. Sometimes with a kind word of encouragement, and sometimes with a gut check. He's blessed me with an amazing group of people, and I am more thankful than I have words to express (and I have a lot of words). It's so wonderful to have people in your life to pray for you, and to pray for. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've only discovered what a blessing it is to pray for someone within the past year or so. Anyway, I've monopolized the internet long enough.
And while I wanted to thank God for blessing me as he has, I also wanted to thank my friends for coming back for me when they could be setting records. Thank you. I really love you guys.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home