Friday, September 23, 2005

Leather comes from Plants

As I was driving to work this morning, I was confronted with an oxymoronic sight…or should I just say moronic? It was almost on par with the time I saw the decked out Hummer with a bumper sticker stating “support police raises”. That’s all well and good, but why should I support raises for police who drive souped-up Hummers, when I’m still bopping around in my 10 year old Saturn? Support my raise, darn it!

At any rate, once again I was subject to a person’s biased opinion (although, what opinion isn’t?). I’m driving down Navajo, and this BMW SUV is in front of me. We hit a red light at Margerum, and I have the opportunity to get a close look at her lovely bumper stickers. There was the “Humans aren’t the only species on earth, we just act like it”. Well, no. I think we’re well aware of other species. If we weren’t, how would we eat them? Then there was the lovely “Fur is DEAD”. Well, not always! My cats wear fur and it’s not dead. I just prefer to wear my fur dead…So, there are “no fur” stickers on her bumpers, back side windows…and as I’m gazing through the windows at the interior of the expensive car, I notice that her seats…her interior…it’s all LEATHER. Where did she think leather came from? Plants? She needs to take my textiles class…

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Is there anything worse than an eco-terrorist hypocrite? Honestly. For my part, I would joyfully slaughter animals and wear their skins. And I love to eat them, because they're tasty. Anyway, I suppose it could've been "pleather," but that doesn't seem likely. Of course, I suppose it could've been naturally-occurring leather. Like maybe it fell off the cow on its own...

10:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I committed redundancy!! AAAAAGGGHHH!!!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home