You're Only As Old As You Look
Let me just say that I've always been a fan of rock music. When I was younger, the louder and the harder, the better it was. Yet even then, I had a big appreciation for classic rock as well. My three older sisters grew up in the sixties and seventies and had a pretty good record collection (and that was in the days when a record was actually a record and not a CD. Geez, you can't even buy cassettes any more. But I digress...). Consequently, I was weaned on Van Morrison, and the Eagles, and Billy Joel. On Boz Scaggs, Loggins and Messina, Poco, and Ten Years After. My sister Debbie gave me Springsteen's Born In The USA when I was fifteen and it changed everything I thought about music. And she also gave me Get Yer Ya Ya's Out by the Rolling Stones, a live recording made when they were still in their prime, when Keith Richard's solos could still set your hair on fire and Mick Jagger's voice had that bluesy growl to it that just didn't sound right coming from a limey.
I was then, and remain now, a fan of their earlier work. With that said, there's something that just ain't right about men in their 60's trying to bound about on stage as if they were still at Woodstock and it was 1969. Mick and Keith, I submit to you that it is not. You gentlemen are probably great grandparents by now.
And last night, there was bigger fanfare on the news than when the President comes to town. They had helicopters flying over Petco park and filming stagehands, for crying out loud. Then you had the interviews with the concertgoers. There's something just wrong about people in their fifties and sixties partying like it's 1999. These lunatics are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to watch people who ought to be playing shuffleboard at Shady Acres staggering around a stage and trying to remember lyrics they wrote in a heroin stupor more than forty years ago. But even without all that, I can submit to you all a reason that the Stones need to hang up their guitar straps and try something new. Or maybe just stinking RETIRE.


Hang it the f% up.
I was then, and remain now, a fan of their earlier work. With that said, there's something that just ain't right about men in their 60's trying to bound about on stage as if they were still at Woodstock and it was 1969. Mick and Keith, I submit to you that it is not. You gentlemen are probably great grandparents by now.
And last night, there was bigger fanfare on the news than when the President comes to town. They had helicopters flying over Petco park and filming stagehands, for crying out loud. Then you had the interviews with the concertgoers. There's something just wrong about people in their fifties and sixties partying like it's 1999. These lunatics are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to watch people who ought to be playing shuffleboard at Shady Acres staggering around a stage and trying to remember lyrics they wrote in a heroin stupor more than forty years ago. But even without all that, I can submit to you all a reason that the Stones need to hang up their guitar straps and try something new. Or maybe just stinking RETIRE.


Hang it the f% up.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home