water and sin
A couple of days ago, the AC went kaput in our office. We were beset by warm, still air for one entire day, and part of another. Fans were mentioned, but they never arrived. Instead, we were treated to untold cases of cheap bottled water. Cheap tepid bottled water. As I write this, I'm looking at a 16 ounce bottle with a label reading Nestle "Pure Life," with a registered trademark. And the thought occurred to me: how can a corporation trademark a pure life? Or is it even possible to lead one? If it is, surely it wouldn't be done by a huge conglomerate known more for candy and chocolate milk than purity. Though it would be nice if we could purify our lives by simply drinking something. And obviously, only one person has truly led a pure life, and he isn't drinking much bottled water these days--or chocolate milk, for that matter.
I’m talking, of course, about Jesus, the ultimate patent holder.
Somewhere, there's a label stating "the human race" with a little "R" in a circle. And another with "the universe" and the same patent.
I think, no, I suppose I know, that the best we can do is strive to lead a pure life. And there's the rub. Striving for that which is impossible. It would seem there's no point to it, wouldn't it? Why would you want to spend your life trying to get somewhere, all the while knowing you simply CAN'T.
We are born innocent, but only get more impure as we mature--the inclination to sin grows within us as our bodies take their adult forms. It is inherent. Jesus, and only Jesus, was and is totally free from sin. Pure. And the best we can do is lead a life of imitation. The best we can do is try to fight the inclination to sin, and by the grace of God, we can.
There's a scene in the movie "Glory," where Colonel Shaw is trying to convince Denzel Washington's character Trip to carry the regiment's colors in the coming battle. Trip refuses, and points out the fact that no one is really going to win the war.
"Stinks, doesn't it?" says Shaw.
"Yes, sir. Stinks somethin' terrible. An' everybody caught up in it, ain't nobody clean..."
That's true. And so it is also with spiritual warfare (though in this instance, someone IS going to win). Whether we like it or not, we are all caught up in it. We are involved. And even though it's tough, even though we'd rather be doing something else, even though we'd maybe rather take the wide path, even though we'd rather surrender than fight, even though we'd rather bury our heads in the sand and not even admit there's a war, as my mom used to say, "that don't mean there ain't."
Take a look at John 9: 39-41;
Jesus said, "For judgement I have come into the world, so that the blind will see, and those who see will become blind."
Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, "What, are we blind, too?"
Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin, but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."
When we don't know Jesus, we can't really be held accountable for our sin (except by law), because chances are, we might not know it's a sin. But when we begin a relationship with Him, we are held accountable by God (and still also by law). If we know something is a sin, and we still do it, we must answer to God.
And while it's true we're new creations once we accept him, and we have been freed from sin through Calvary (Romans 6:7, Matt 26:28), that doesn't mean we won't be tempted. That doesn't mean we won't sin, and if we do, it doesn't mean it's OK. If you know you can "get away with" something, does that mean you should do it? Especially if you know it's wrong (not that someone who claims to know Christ truly "gets away with" sin, because they know they'll be forgiven, if they truly repent. Sinning because of the enduring nature of Grace seems to me to be nearly as wrong as the sin itself). Of course it doesn't.
I've always found the contrast between Israel before Jesus came and afterward really interesting. It's not really surprising the High Priests reacted as they did, in a way. Think about it, though. They had it pretty much all worked out. They would sacrifice to cover not only their sins, but the sins of the people in their charge; the sins often committed in ignorance. I was thinking about that, about the temporary nature of "covering" sins. The high priests would have to sacrifice again and again--heifers, sheep, goats--and the blood was sprinkled around like water. This was not just an act of worship, it was vital.
But then Jesus came along and messed everything up. His sacrifice at Calvary made any other sacrifice unnecessary, and in a sense, made the High priests JOBS, their CALLINGS unecessary.
Their main function was to sacrifice, and with Jesus's shed blood, no other sacrifice would ever be needed, because His blood did not simply cover our sins, but OBLITERATED them. Because Jesus died for our sins, for my sins, for YOUR sins, we have died to sin ourself. That is, provided we have accepted Jesus into our hearts. If you haven't done that, if you haven't made a commitment, then one day, you're going to have a lot worse of a problem then the AC going out in your office. Maybe it won't happen any time soon.
But you never know.
So as a Christian, I need to be more cognizant of my actions, and of my thoughts and my words. Are they pleasing to God? God knows my sins, but have I confessed them to Him? Have I prayed, have I asked God for strength, for discernment? Have I spent enough time in the Word? Do I have someone in my life to hold me accountable?
All good questions, and far be it from me to judge anyone else. I know these are all areas I need to continue to grow in. And by the grace of God, I will.
Now where was I? Oh, yeah. I've got this warm bottle of water on my desk...
I’m talking, of course, about Jesus, the ultimate patent holder.
Somewhere, there's a label stating "the human race" with a little "R" in a circle. And another with "the universe" and the same patent.
I think, no, I suppose I know, that the best we can do is strive to lead a pure life. And there's the rub. Striving for that which is impossible. It would seem there's no point to it, wouldn't it? Why would you want to spend your life trying to get somewhere, all the while knowing you simply CAN'T.
We are born innocent, but only get more impure as we mature--the inclination to sin grows within us as our bodies take their adult forms. It is inherent. Jesus, and only Jesus, was and is totally free from sin. Pure. And the best we can do is lead a life of imitation. The best we can do is try to fight the inclination to sin, and by the grace of God, we can.
There's a scene in the movie "Glory," where Colonel Shaw is trying to convince Denzel Washington's character Trip to carry the regiment's colors in the coming battle. Trip refuses, and points out the fact that no one is really going to win the war.
"Stinks, doesn't it?" says Shaw.
"Yes, sir. Stinks somethin' terrible. An' everybody caught up in it, ain't nobody clean..."
That's true. And so it is also with spiritual warfare (though in this instance, someone IS going to win). Whether we like it or not, we are all caught up in it. We are involved. And even though it's tough, even though we'd rather be doing something else, even though we'd maybe rather take the wide path, even though we'd rather surrender than fight, even though we'd rather bury our heads in the sand and not even admit there's a war, as my mom used to say, "that don't mean there ain't."
Take a look at John 9: 39-41;
Jesus said, "For judgement I have come into the world, so that the blind will see, and those who see will become blind."
Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, "What, are we blind, too?"
Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin, but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."
When we don't know Jesus, we can't really be held accountable for our sin (except by law), because chances are, we might not know it's a sin. But when we begin a relationship with Him, we are held accountable by God (and still also by law). If we know something is a sin, and we still do it, we must answer to God.
And while it's true we're new creations once we accept him, and we have been freed from sin through Calvary (Romans 6:7, Matt 26:28), that doesn't mean we won't be tempted. That doesn't mean we won't sin, and if we do, it doesn't mean it's OK. If you know you can "get away with" something, does that mean you should do it? Especially if you know it's wrong (not that someone who claims to know Christ truly "gets away with" sin, because they know they'll be forgiven, if they truly repent. Sinning because of the enduring nature of Grace seems to me to be nearly as wrong as the sin itself). Of course it doesn't.
I've always found the contrast between Israel before Jesus came and afterward really interesting. It's not really surprising the High Priests reacted as they did, in a way. Think about it, though. They had it pretty much all worked out. They would sacrifice to cover not only their sins, but the sins of the people in their charge; the sins often committed in ignorance. I was thinking about that, about the temporary nature of "covering" sins. The high priests would have to sacrifice again and again--heifers, sheep, goats--and the blood was sprinkled around like water. This was not just an act of worship, it was vital.
But then Jesus came along and messed everything up. His sacrifice at Calvary made any other sacrifice unnecessary, and in a sense, made the High priests JOBS, their CALLINGS unecessary.
Their main function was to sacrifice, and with Jesus's shed blood, no other sacrifice would ever be needed, because His blood did not simply cover our sins, but OBLITERATED them. Because Jesus died for our sins, for my sins, for YOUR sins, we have died to sin ourself. That is, provided we have accepted Jesus into our hearts. If you haven't done that, if you haven't made a commitment, then one day, you're going to have a lot worse of a problem then the AC going out in your office. Maybe it won't happen any time soon.
But you never know.
So as a Christian, I need to be more cognizant of my actions, and of my thoughts and my words. Are they pleasing to God? God knows my sins, but have I confessed them to Him? Have I prayed, have I asked God for strength, for discernment? Have I spent enough time in the Word? Do I have someone in my life to hold me accountable?
All good questions, and far be it from me to judge anyone else. I know these are all areas I need to continue to grow in. And by the grace of God, I will.
Now where was I? Oh, yeah. I've got this warm bottle of water on my desk...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home